Saturday, October 20, 2007

Goals

My teachers taught me early on in life that it's important to have goals.

These are my goals for 3L year:

1. To get invited to the faculty lunch. Every Friday, the faculty get together for lunch, whether purely for fun or for some sort of institutional advancement/team-building effort. Every Friday, my pal and I get together for our weekly lunch, which serendipitously takes place outside the faculty lunch room. My two favorite professors always stop to chat when they're on their way to lunch. Lunch Pal and I have decided that one of these days, the faculty will get so used to seeing us, they'll have to invite us to the faculty lunch. It's gonna work.

2. To get a one-year subscription to Cook's Illustrated. I am an aspiring foodie and I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, a fantastic collection of science and food writing. Every couple months, I read a new issue, full of tricks of the trade and of explanations for why white chocolate won't behave the same as dark chocolate in a recipe. [FN1] I'm not averse to renewing my subscription, but I want to see if I can "win" one, because if you write a letter to the magazine, and they print it, then you get a free year's subscription. I want to be printed.


----
FN1. There's no actual cocoa in white chocolate. That upsets the sugar-fat ratio in recipes calling for regular chocolate. Any dummy knows that, but it's nice to be affirmed in a magazine.

No comments: