Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Writing

I aspire to be a good writer. In some ways, I think I already am. But law school, and "legal" writing in general, have confounded me into thinking that there actually is no such thing as good writing. At least, not in this profession.

You might recall that I'm writing a paper on guest-workers (note the hyphen). My research has unearthed pages and pages of bad, bad writing from ostensibly "good" (read: tenured) writers at law schools all over the country. Reading all that garbage has made we wonder if there are any truly bold, new ideas for guest-worker programs and immigration, or if the debate is just a broken record of the same arguments, repeated over and over again.

The 3L in me should embrace the broken record; if legal scholars can't think of anything new, then I certainly shouldn't have to, either. But the honest-L in me yearns to differ.

No comments: