Monday, October 20, 2008

Boston, you're my home

Yeah, yeah, the Sox lost, but whatever. I still love that dirty water and I always will.

Saturday morning the Captain and I arose at an ungodly hour for our flight to Boston. As we made our descent into New England, I saw the fiery treescape beneath me and I started to cry. Really. I was that happy to be back. And it was good thing, too, because our trip was so tightly scheduled there was no room for ambivalence.

Our first stop was flour bakery because, well, just follow the link. And because Joanne Chang is my hero. She quit management consulting so she could open up a bakery, and now everyone is better off because of it. She forsake a steady paycheck in a lucrative field just so she could do what she loved, and she's excelled. In this gloomy and uncertain climate, I find that nothing short of heroic, even revolutionary. And yes, the sticky buns mean that much to me.

Next we went to the Head of the Charles, where we did our best to walk off the eight million calories we’d just ingested. (We got close.) The Captain’s former rowers had just purchased a new boat and named one of its seats in his honor, so they invited him to the boat’s dedication. When we showed up they were absolutely. thrilled. to see him again - hugs and smiles all around. Even though he coached the kids for only a season, the impact he had was real. He'd been their coach, their disciplinarian, and their friend, and they loved him because of it. It was a pleasure to watch.

Later that evening we went to a potluck held in our honor by First Friend and her husband, Dr. First Friend. First Friend was the first friend I ever made in law school and I am so lucky to count her as one of my friends still. She’d assembled a great group of former classmates to eat together and to watch the ALCS on a beautifully large flat-screen TV, but what truly stood out was the fellowship and the affection. It was a delight to be back with our friends from BC, and all night I kept saying, “This is the best weekend ever!”

And it was true. There was a whole second day to go, full of more friends and more reuning and more caloric intake. But that would make too long a post, and I think you get the picture.

2 comments:

Jenski said...

It was great to see you guys! Boston, and I, miss you. :-)

Christina Ward said...

Kuang - this is Christina. I hope its okay that I found your blog link on Facebook and have been taking a peek now and again :) You're such a good, funny succinct writer. My attempts always turn into horrific verbal viral epidemics, often requiring quarantine.

Aaanyway, I really wanted to comment to say that I am slightly (but not in a creepy way) jealous that you're working in a cupcake bakery. It's my constant day dream. And Joanne Chang is my hero, too. Big time. My ultimate dream is to quit the law firm gerbil-wheel to open an all purpose Wine-Cheese-Bakery. Basically everything I love in one place. I'll keep dreaming, just as I keep on billing ... best of luck to you and enjoy the butter cream :)