Thursday, May 8, 2008

Walter

Last night was my last night in the law library. Knowing this, I stopped by the security desk on my way out to say good-bye to Walter, my favorite security guard. Early on my 1L year, I stopped by the desk and introduced myself to him. I stuck out my hand and said brightly, "Hi, I'm KHC. I figure we'll be seeing a lot of each other over the next three years, so I thought I should introduce myself."

We've been tight ever since. He's met my boyfriend, and he's approved. I've baked him cookies for his birthday and I sent him a card when he was seriously ill. When one of my classmates was deployed to Iraq, he assembled a care package for her and had me deliver it to her friends. He's seen me hunched over all manner of textbook, outline, and study guide. He doesn't know it, but he's watched me grow up as I've navigated this heartbreaking journey called law school. The very sight of him at the security desk comforted me.

So when I said good-bye to him last night, I had to keep it short. My eyes were filling and I did not want to make a scene. I thanked him for being my friend these three years and then I scurried out, telling him I had to leave before I got "too emotional."

But when I got to my car, I let it all out. Like I'm doing right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you wrote this post awhile ago, and I wish I had read it awhile ago. I wish I were as kind as you -- Walter was such a comforting, familiar presence that I took him for granted. I'm so glad you wrote this.