Friday, September 26, 2008

Badge of Honor

There is a lot of time between taking the bar and starting my job. To kill all this time, I chose to run a marathon. Some people travel, some people stay on the couch, but I, I chose to run twenty-six miles. Because I wanted to.

This makes me wonder about myself.

It takes a certain amount of nerve to run a distance associated with a soldier who died after running it. It also takes a certain amount of denial, which I am not so sure is different from nerve. When my knees and my ankles ache at the end of the run and when I barely can climb the stairs at the end of the day, for example, I practice a form of denial.

Whatever.

The marathon is at the end of October, and I have been training since...not enough ago. But I’ve been working hard and I have the hat to prove it. I almost don’t want to wash it.

Posted by Picasa


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget to use ice baths for long runs (14+ miles). They're amazing. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=8731

You're amazing, too, my friend. :)

Monique said...

I respect your decision, my marathoning friend, but I would never do it. What is so bad about the couch? You would not believe the great TV they have these days.

kathryn said...

that hat is fantastic! don't wash it! in 1996, the yankees' closer, john wetteland didn't wash his hat ALL SEASON LONG, and look what happened...! (they won the world series.)

Jenski said...

Keep on running! That is a well-loved Red Sox hat. Just like they are supposed to be. Maybe you just need a new one for non-strenuous outings so you can keep that one just the way it is.