Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God bless America

When the results came in last night, I knew I'd want to write something, but I wasn't sure what. What could possibly describe the sheer magnificence of it all? What words could I use? As it got later and later, I realized I was growing too tired to think of anything compelling, so my reflections would have to wait.

Today, however, a day after the most exciting campaign I have had the privilege to see, I've started to put my finger on it. Just now I was playing "Yes We Can," on the YouTube (because, as you know, I find continuous loops to be soothing), and I started to cry. Hard. As if it had been left up to me cry all the tears left in heaven: heaving shoulders, hiccups, a very scrunched up face. The Captain was initially amused because he's always amused by how sensitive I am (I can't watch an Army recruiting commercial without shedding a tear), but then he noticed there was something more and came over to hold me.

Because there was something more - so much more. There was the very idea of a politics of hope, the idea that despite all the cynicism and special interests and real-world practicalities, the United States is a country firmly rooted in its belief that its people can, and will, do better. The idea that this is not a country that leaves its weak and poor behind, but takes care of its own and sends them out to do better. The idea that, yes, anyone can be President, even a skinny kid with a funny name who someday promises his two little girls a puppy once they move into the White House.

And the idea that two Chinese immigrants, who spoke only passable English when they first arrived, could provide their daughter with the best education money could buy, and all the opportunities she could want. The idea that through hard work and determination, anything is possible.

God bless America.

5 comments:

Demosthenes said...

I dunno. All that inspiring hope in millions of people requires a lot of work. Far easier to just scare people.

Boo!

See. I scared you. I'm a good politician.

Demosthenes said...

Oh, and I split my infinitive. That's scary too, what with my reckless use of grammar. Watch out for my maverickitude.

Jenski said...

I almost started crying when I watched Obama's speech at work...I definitely just started crying when I read your post too. :) The election of 2000 has forever tainted the way I feel on Election Day. Me, I still can not figure out how to be articulate about how hopeful I am for the next four years. I will probably keep trying though. So, thanks for sharing.

KHC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KHC said...

"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."

My pleasure, Jen.