Monday, June 2, 2008

The rumors are true

Studying for the bar has permitted me to observe that mythical, oft-rumored creature: the Harvard law student. They are the stuff of books, movies, even peer-reviewed journals.[FN1] Even though I've lived in Boston the last three years, I never have had much exposure to them - they're over the river. But now I am up close and personal, as I watch movies with them five days a week.

I have not been impressed. Several days ago, I tripped in the classroom and wiped out in a most spectacular fashion. I landed at the feet, literally, of a Harvard law student.[FN2] But even though I lay there in front of her, she uttered not a word. Not a single word. I was stunned. Had I tripped at BC, even the person on the far side of the room would have asked if I were okay. Had I tripped at BC, even the meanest, most self-centered person at least would have pretended to care.

At Harvard, not so. How disappointing.


--------
FN1. Ms. Bee once sent me an article from a psych journal which said that a large proportion of Harvard students are clinically depressed after their first semester exams. Like, actually diagnosed.

FN2. I'm not kidding about our proximity. She could have kicked me without much effort, I was so close.

No comments: