Friday, June 6, 2008

Summer of Poverty

Last night I booked my flight to the bar exam. I had dragged my feet because I had misread the ticket fares and thought I could fly JetBlue to Oakland roundtrip for $209. Because not long ago, I could have flown JetBlue to Oakland roundtrip for $209.

Not any more. Because this is the Summer of our Discontent. The most affordable flight, without unreasonable stops, was $490. I went to bed depressed.

And now I'm just generally anxious. The Captain's still looking for work, my job doesn't start until January, and somehow I need to pass the bar exam in the meantime. Add to that that we still don't know where we're going to be come September, and you've got one very worried little blogger. We won't starve, but I'd still like some form of security. That would be nice.

Until we get that, I suppose I should focus on the positives. This morning I noticed just how much more I had been spending per month on gas. (If you drive, you don't want to know.) My transportation contest, it seems, is resulting in real savings. That's cool.

No comments: