Thursday, April 24, 2008

Accentuate the Positive

Yesterday, the Tax Man told me I was a victim of identity theft. I had called the IRS to ask where my refund was because I had filed my tax return a while ago and because I really want my tax refund. The IRS told me they had two tax returns on file so they couldn't give me my refund until I proved to them that I am, in fact, the real KHC. So I've filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and a report with the Boston police. Later today I'll be going to the local IRS office to put these things in my file and to beg for my tax refund.

Thing is, I've been surprisingly calm about the whole affair. My credit reports look good and I've put fraud alerts with all three bureaus. Until the IRS tells me they can't give me my refund, I have nothing to fuss about. Last night I noted my nonchalance to the Captain, "Isn't it nice that I've been so calm about everything?" Last week my firm tells me I can't start work until 2009 and this week the Tax Man tells me somebody's stolen my identity. But all I can think about is the free lunch I'm getting at school at the end of the week. And the party my friends are throwing on the Cape at the end of the semester. And the bulldog we'll get when the Captain hooks up with a coaching gig. And the marathon I'll be running the fall.

It's all pretty cool.

No comments: