Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mortified

Earlier this week I went to office hours. In addition to my usual class confusion ("So...this basic rule we covered months ago..."), I also had some questions about the long-term. Namely, I wanted to know how mobile I would be if I entered a particular practice area, because I'm not entirely sure I want a lifetime in San Diego. (Don't hate.)

She gave me the usual spiel, how when I hit my third year as an associate I'll be tremendously marketable, but then she suggested applying to LLM programs in parts of the country where I would want to spend a lifetime.

I almost left the room.

Thing is, I've already done my time: two years' MPA, three years' JD. Do I really need to add three more letters? I didn't voice these objections to her, but I did offer another: I didn't think my grades would be appealing to any school worth going to. She countered, "What do you have, a 2.2?" I gratefully shook my head, but she wanted my actual number. She then proceeded to shout, "'[Number]?! What's so bad about a [number]?"

(Uh, lots of things are wrong with [number]. Especially if you keep shouting it down the hall like that.)

Still, it was nice to have her vote of confidence.

No comments: