Monday, July 7, 2008

Developments

Yes, there's a new look. I don't necessarily like it, but since my audience somehow expanded this weekend (I think my readers now total five), I figured I ought to dress up the place. Even though I'm not 100% sold on this new appearance, I'm exhausted at the moment so the look is good for now.

Today I decided that MBE stands for Most Burdensome Exercise. And I think that's all I need to say about that.

Because my big concern today was the California Performance Test. I submitted a practice test to BarBri last week and my grade came back...with room for improvement. I'm not surprised I did so poorly because I took it in a great rush and I did not leave myself much time for contemplation. Still, I remember thinking to myself when I took the exam, "WTF? What are they asking me here? This wasn't in the workshop! How the h--l am I supposed to answer this?!" So I don't know if any extra time would have helped. Later this evening I compared my answer to BarBri's sample answer and all I could think was, "Oh s--t."[FN1]

The sample answer had broken out issues I didn't consider to be separate issues (I thought they were components of a larger issue), so naturally I started fretting about my general ability to spot issues in the first place. Which ability was an overall concern for me in law school, where I didn't do as well as I had hoped, so of course I subsequently spiraled into a vortex of worry. Where I think I remain, because I'm not particularly optimistic at the moment.

Sigh.


-------
FN1. Up until now I've steered clear of swearing, but why be someone I'm not?

3 comments:

Miss Bee said...

Oh, KHC! By the time I finished BarBri, I was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that BarBri's writing exercise scoring was no more than a scheme to get everyone to take Essay Advantage, or whatever the heck they're calling it these days. The comments they gave were generally valid, but the scores? Totally correlated to how soon they were giving the next optional class. Just sayin'. You *will* overcome!

KHC said...

Thanks, Mo.

It occurs to me that I never called you 'Mo.' That's a shame.

Jenski said...

It is always good to have room for improvement. The best part of an initial practice exam is just getting a sense of what the test is like to take, right?