Friday, July 4, 2008

Sold!

Only recently did I discover that my love was for sale, and that the price was cheap. I did not make this discovery until after my love had been snatched up by a savvy shopper, but I have been reminded about it over and over ever since.

Case in point: yesterday's simulated multi-state bar exam. Hundreds of nervous test-takers were crowded, cattle-style, into a large conference room at the Boston World Trade Center.[FN1] The test conditions so threw me for a loop I couldn't calm down; I'm certain I did poorly on the morning session. (I haven't checked my answers.)

After the lunch break, however, I returned to my seat to find a small, white cardboard box perched on top of my books. The sticker read...flour bakery. The Captain had gone out during our lunch break and gotten me one of their legendary, heaven-sent Sticky Buns.

We'd heard lots and lots about these buns, but we'd never been able to have any because the bakery's always sold out of them, usually by mid-morning. Through some miracle there was one left at mid-day, and the Captain got one for us to share. And it truly lived up to its hype. My teeth sank into a pillow of butter, sugar, and gooey, gooey caramel.

I was in a much better mood for the afternoon session.

Sold.

------
FN1. As a former New Yorker, I have trouble saying that name aloud.

No comments: