Sunday, July 27, 2008

Live-blogging the Captain's arrival

3:52PM PDT: The Captain finally - after two failed attempts where he actually got on planes and then had to get off - got a flight out of New York. According to delta.com, he's supposed to arrive in Salt Lake by 8:30PM MDT. Keep your fingers crossed that that happens because the last flight out of Salt Lake to Oakland is at 9:15PM MDT. One nice thing about delta.com is that they have a nifty flight tracker where you can see where the flight is along a map. Right now, he's somewhere above the Great Lakes.

As for me, I've been in Oakland nearly four hours but I have yet to do any studying. I have instead, among other things, watched a good portion of the late Prof. Pausch's "Last Lecture." (If you haven't seen it yet, it is worth a look. It's a bit long, so to fellow bar applicants I recommend watching it in portions.) As I watch it, I can't help but feel enormous, vicarious pride because Prof. Pausch also graduated from Brown and he seems never to have given up the fearless creativity and courage that so defined my undergraduate education. That inspires me. Even though creativity should not be on my agenda at the moment, I'm still excited for what lies beyond the next four days. There is a world of possibility out there and I cannot wait to be reacquainted with it.

In the meantime, time to start taking care of "the matter at hand."

6:29PM PDT: Delta Flight 141 is flying over Wyoming, which borders Utah. I just checked the weather forecast, however, and there are rainstorms over Salt Lake so don't get your hopes up. As for me, I'm still tired and cranky.

7:35PM PDT: He's touched down in Salt Lake! Even better, he was seated in business class so he got to have dinner. That's good because there's not much for food at the motel. Small victories.

8:29PM PDT: His flight from Salt Lake has taken off! Cautious optimism, people. As an illustrative analogy: it's the top of the eighth at Fenway and the Sox are up 9-2. Xavier Nady just hit into a double play. But are we going to call it a game? NO.

8:45PM PDT: Top of the ninth, Timlin on the mound. Now we can call it a game.

10:15PM PDT: LANDED!!! He will be arriving to the motel shortly. Thank goodness. And good night.

4 comments:

Jenski said...

Good luck the next couple of days, and then the test days too. You both can do it!

P.S. I had brunch at Johnny D's today and thought of you. I don't know why, but I did. :-)

Miss Bee said...

Yes, yes! Good luck! And don't study too much anymore. Relax and rest. There's too much information to cram, and you have been working hard, so you might as well be relaxed and rested, which will help you more over the next few days. If affirmations will help, repeat affirmations. If praying will help, pray. Send my wishes to the Captain, too! I'll be thinking of you all this week!

KHC said...

Thanks, ladies.

I will do my best!

Monique said...

you so funny. me love you long time. (saving up all my correct complete sentences for essay day)